Brunette

Brunette

Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Why I Read the News

I consider myself a “news hog.”  I love the news.  I have always loved the news.  ALWAYS.  I read the news first thing in the morning and last thing before bed.

I know a lot of people who hate reading/watching/hearing the news: “It’s too depressing, it makes me sad, there’s no good news anymore…”

And I understand… I do.  I get it.  Quite frankly, I agree with those reasons.

But I can’t stop myself.

Not reading the news makes me feel disconnected.  I know there are a lot of God-awful stories internationally, nationally, and even locally, but being unaware of them – to me, at least – is worse than being aware of them.  In my opinion, no matter what the news is, it’s important because it is happening.  Someone is suffering somewhere, and I feel like the least I can do is acknowledge that.

I am not insensitive to what’s happening in our world, and I am not numb to it, either.  I can’t just read the news and shrug my shoulders and go on with my day.  No, not at all.  In fact, the very opposite happens.  If I read about something terrible, that stays with me… for a long time.  Years, maybe even longer.  I think about the people affected and I pray for them.

Sometimes I think all this adds to my ever-growing “worry list,” but I don’t care.  Not reading the news makes me feel selfish, and I don’t want to just live in my own little world and never surface.  Though I think we all need moments where we tune the world out, I don’t think it’s feasible all the time.

After all, I think it’s in our awareness that we become more empathetic and less selfish.  Those are my goals, anyway.  I’ve found that in the stories I read, I discover more about myself and the world we live in – good and bad – but all worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment