Brunette

Brunette

Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Kindergarten Preparations

Last week, my son D. had his kindergarten entrance screening.  I think I was more nervous than he was!  (No, I know I was.  My husband kept telling me to calm down.)

 
It was truly surreal walking up to his soon-to-be elementary school.  Everything seemed larger than life because I'm so used to the preschool he's attended for three years where everything is miniature-sized (very "Alice in Wonderland-y").  As we approached the building, I was having visions of taking him to college and wondered if that feeling of loss I felt is similar to the one I will have thirteen years from now.

 
Upon entering, we were greeted by PTA moms and had to fill out some paperwork. 
By the way...


One of the papers I had to fill out was a questionnaire about what skills my son could and couldn't do.  I felt like I was taking the freakin' SATs with the amount and types of questions.  At one point, I even found myself questioning his abilities because I was so nervous for him.  ("Can he recite the alphabet?  Does he know his colors?") 

We watched the kids ahead of us get taken back by the various kindergarten teachers.  All of the parents had the same facial expression when their child walked off with a teacher, and all of the parents had the same facial expression as their child returned.  Count us among that group.  It was like our kids were going in to the biggest interview of their lives.

I kept my nervousness a secret from my son as best I could so he wouldn't think it was a big deal, and he was his usual social self when the kindergarten teacher came over to him.  He got the young, pretty one for his screening, so he was in seventh heaven!  (What can I say?  He loves the ladies.)
 
We watched him walk down that long hallway like such a big boy.  When he returned, he was all smiles but refused to tell us anything about the screening.  WHAT?!  Who does he think he is - a teenager?
 


In all seriousness, though, I just want him to keep his love of learning and his inquisitive nature.  His curiosity amazes me and makes me wonder why so many of us lose that as we age.  I mean, he is always asking questions.  ALWAYS.  He wants to know how things work, why things happen, what comes next... and although there are many days when I'm exhausted just conversing with him, I have to admit that I love that he wants to know as much as possible about the world around him.

I also love how kind he is to others.  He is helpful and considerate.  He picks up on social cues and responds compassionately.  It's incredible to watch.

I know I'm bragging about him, but I truly am so proud of who he is and who he is becoming.  It's all happening so fast, too.

Most of all, I want him to know this:

 

1 comment: